Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Failings

One should never post blog entries when one is frustrated or angry.

I owe a huge apology to my sister-in-law. In my post on being blessed, I talked about the importance of my family and how much of a blessing they are. However, in my last posting I unfairly described her in a way that is neither flattering to her, nor entirely factually accurate.

My sister-in-law (my wife's sister) lives in our basement. Since my wife and I are trying to help her move into the realities of being an independent adult, she pays rent. We don't charge her much more than what it costs to heat what would be an otherwise unused area of our house, the utilities she uses, and for internet access. Her situation is difficult as she doesn't have much in the way of marketable skills and is working in the retail world. She has a keen mind (for her age) and is a very hard worker. She is thoughtful and caring and helps my wife out more often than I'm told. Its not unusual to come home to a running dishwasher that has been emptied and loaded by my sister-in-law. This stands in stark contrast to her brother who figured he paid rent and didn't have to do anything.

My frustration evident in my previous post stands, but it was entirely unfair to label my sister-in-law as a source of my frustrations. Do I wish she were doing things a little differently in her life? Yes. But those are her decisions to make, not mine.

In essence, my sister-in-law should have been mentioned in my post on blessings. In an indirect way she was. I am blessed to have a family that loves me and puts up with my occasional irrationality. My sister-in-law is part of that family and I should have said so.

To my sister-in-law: I'm sorry. So is my mom ;)

I also recognize that my frustration level is entirely too high and is largely out of control at this point. My wife pointed out that my last posting was on my daughter's birthday. When I should have been being thankful for a healthy, smart, and active daughter, I was venting at how much the demands on my time were stressing me out. This is not who I am or who I want to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home